Overnight blueberry French toast is an easy make-ahead dish that is perfect for a crowd and tasty enough for Christmas morning! Mix it all up the night before so you can pop in the over in the morning for a delicious, soft fluffy french toast casserole that is bursting with blueberry goodness.
Overnight Blueberry French Toast Recipe
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, for baking dish
- 16 slices “stale” bread, such as brioche, croissants or French bread — or use what you have on hand. I used day old country white bread.
- 5 large eggs
- 1½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp vanilla bean paste
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Butter baking dish.
- Cut bread into bite size cubes, add to buttered dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla bean paste and salt until well combined. Add blueberries to top of bread. Pour the milk mixture over the bread and press the bread gently to absorb. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Remove the plastic wrap.
- Bake until puffed, golden brown and cooked in the center, 35-45 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve with maple syrup.
Tips & Tricks
- You don’t have to use blueberries. You may substitute strawberries, raspberries or blackberries or a mix if desired. Or try diced apples or pears. Dried cranberries or apricots are great too. Mix and match to come up with your favorite combinations.
- Use day old (dry) bread to prevent your casserole from getting soggy. The idea is for the bread to soak up the egg mixture. If you only have fresh bread on hand, cube and bake on a baking sheet for about 10 minutes until dried out. Toss at least once while baking.
- To store: Cover tightly and refrigerate up to 4 days. Reheat leftovers in microwave or baking dish at 350º until warmed through. To freeze, wrap tightly and freeze up to 3 months.
- You can freeze before baking by wrapping tightly and placing directly in freezer for up to 2 months. Remove the night before and allow to thaw in fridge before baking according to directions.
Homemade Hostess Gift
Heading to a party? Make up a pan of overnight french toast and wrap festively as a thoughtful hostess gift. Include a recipe card with baking instructions. Your recipient will surely love having breakfast at hand the following morning!
Hope you love this delicious french toast casserole. For more tummy warming breakfast ideas, be sure to see my recipe for Blueberry Baked Oats and the Best (Easy) Coffee Cake Recipe. Don’t miss any recipes by subscribing to my newsletter. It’s FREE and we promise to NEVER spam you or sell your information.