Brown Butter Banana Bread is a unique (and delicious) twist on the classic banana bread recipe. The addition of brown butter instead of regular butter adds a delicious dimension of flavor. The great thing about this recipe is that is is super easy with just a few ingredients and comes together quickly.
Brown Butter Banana Bread Recipe
- 2-3 ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup brown butter* (instructions below)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
Mix-ins (optional) : cinnamon & sugar, chopped walnuts or pecans or chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350º and prepare a buttered loaf pan. This will help your loaf to not stick to the pan when baking.
- Peel and mash bananas with a fork in a large bowl.
- Add melted brown butter to mashed bananas using a large wooden spoon or electric mixer.
- Stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla bean paste.
- Over the top of your batter, sprinkle the baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and flour, then mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Optional: Sprinkle granulated sugar & cinnamon on the top for a sparkly, crispy topping!
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, until a toothpick, comes out clean. Remove from oven.
- Allow the loaf to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from loaf pan and transferring to a cooling rack.
- Best served warm but terrific to enjoy at room temperature.
How to make Brown Butter
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
Heat a heavy bottomed skillet on medium heat. Add the butter, stirring frequently. Brown specks will start to form and butter will give off a nutty aroma. Once melted, the butter will foam up a bit, watch carefully when the browned specks begin to form at the bottom of the pan and remove from heat before it burns.
Pour into a glass bowl to stop the butter from cooking further and prevent burning.
Use browned butter immediately or store covered in the refrigerator for up to a week.
I hope you will try this updated version of the traditional banana bread recipe. It’ss my new go to! I love it for breakfast or a yummy afternoon snack!